I've Got the "Martial Arts Movie" High

You know that feeling you get when you've just seen a martial arts movie, and you walk out of the theater into the cold night air. That feeling that makes you raise your head to the sky and scream out, challenging the moon and stars and the heavens above. That irresistible urge to send badly imitated tiger claw punches and monkey style kicks at the faces and bodies of loved ones and unsuspecting movie goers. That rush of adrenaline that makes you jump around like an imbecile, punching and kicking at imaginary foes, feigning death, and rising up again delivering cheesy one liners straight from the lips of your favorite Professional Wrestler, then resuming your epic but imaginary battle. Discovering profound conviction in the belief that you are "The Chosen One". Yeah, I've got it, 'cause I just saw "The Forbidden Kingdom" starring Jackie Chan, Jet Li, some punk white kid, and a girl who refers to herself in the third person. And I'm here to BLOG about it, bitches.

The movie was very entertaining. But also, very VERY cheesy. And funny. There were several moments in the movie where the entire theater burst into laughter. The jokes were great, as Jackie Chan and his crippling mental retardation are quite entertaining. But seriously. It was an entertaining movie. It made me want to go watch more martial arts movies, just to get that same flavor of humor and to be able to pick out martial art styles again. The locations where they filmed were Friggin GORGEOUS and the fights were well choreographed. Hell, it even had a few twists that totally caught me by surprise, which is unusual because I'm the kinda guy who isn't phased at all by M. Night Shamalamalamalamalamanon and his perverse need to confuse everyone he's ever met. But, back to the cheesyness. The acting was good, except for the parts where it needed to be good. Also, I'm sorta biased here, because I went into the movie knowing it was going to be cheesy, so I didn't expect much from it. Also, the simple fact that I have watched quite a few "Sci-Fi Channel Originals" might have something to do with why I was able to enjoy the movie so much. It might also have to do with why I'm dead on the inside, but thats another story, for another time.

All and all, the movie was entertaining, but if you are a picky movie goer or someone who just gets angry at the site of interracial love and Kung-Fu, then you might not like this movie. Now, please excuse me while I go stand under some waterfalls and punch hard things.

1 comments:

Astrozombie said...

or watch trains go by in the big city as you jog in place.