Cry me a River

I recently pondered whether we should shut down this site or allow it to take a gasp of air, attempt to let it live, perhaps even thrive. At first I thought of all the reasons to shut the site down, which I shall now list in order that you may form your own opinion on this matter of closure:
  1. We don't put quite so much effort into the site
  2. We have very little community involvement. In fact, I can only think of 3 people that regularly comment.
  3. We don't update as regularly
  4. the site would be one less thing to do in the afternoons.

Considering all these facts, one would easily come to the conclusion that SLATFATF is undeserving of it's domain, and should be closed.

And then I thought of all the positive things that have happened because of our involvement in slatfatf:
  1. The creative writings that we have done are funnier than I could have imagined
  2. The comics that have been drawn/written are amazing
  3. the podcasts have been so much fun, and stimulating
  4. having our friends tell us that we had a funny post or something is rewarding
  5. we have quite a few viewers, even though we don't get many comments
  6. the poems have been great
  7. working with Fenghar on anything is entertaining
  8. coming up with new ideas is super stimulating to the creative lobe
After I wrote this list, I knew the answer to my question. We don't want to keep running slatfat. We need to keep running slatfat. WE NEED to keep running it because if we close it down, we will be losing our escape. Our little fortress of solitude. We need a place to post our nonsensical ramblings, a place to drop off our friday night recordings, a place for our drawings that are so creepy they don't deserve to be on the internet, but they are. Fenghar, we need this cove, this harbor, of chaos. I can't imagine a Friday night where we aren't recording some bullshit, talking about something to do with Slatfatf, drawing those crazy pics. Talking about india. Watching movies.
Fenghar, if we lose our safe haven of insanity, I really believe a huge part of our creativity will go unserved. This is why it is dire that we keep this site running.

I'm not giving up on slatfatf, and neither are you. If you do indeed never return to slatfatf, never draw a hilarious comic again, never record another podcast, never write a poem, never link a fun video, and never write non sequitor stories, then I will beat the shit out of you.

No fucking joke.

I'll kick your fucking freshly perfect teeth in.

4 comments:

mystic monkey said...

)8;
(this is me confused, again, I have boobie eyes)

Super said...

I'm crying a planet made of water.

Anonymous said...

Psssh, boy you couldn't win in a fight against me and you know that.

You's a lover not a fighter.

And I definitely would not stop doing everything that I was doing, I just wouldn't put myself on a schedule- not that we really had one in the first place.

The poems, art, comics, and peripherals would continue, they just wouldn't be posted. I need a buffer, and a vacation from schedules. I'm having enough trouble already going to school and slatfatf, although not the cause, is a minor contributor to the incredible anxiety I am dealing with right now- which is the main reason for my absences.

Comics are so hard and lengthy to draw because I don't have a pad and I'm using a trackball mouse. Also, the most important factor, I am not a good artist. I cannot make the amazing "one-minute sketches" that I've seen you, and other people do.

Poetry night only really was good because of that one day with you in class writing all that silliness and the left over drive I had went into poetry night II.

The posts? Well, I don't remember the last time I've written a post about something other than me apologizing for a lack of updates, or me making unkeepable promises about new content.

And the podcasts we've had like 5. I enjoy them a lot. I really do. But I hate my voice so much.

Honestly, you and I share the same reasons for not being able to post, excluding the girl-friend factor, and yet I kept on trying to do it. So when I've given up you suddenly rush to the site to post an, I'll admit, very eloquent speech about how I need to keep going? Can't you even throw me a little promise of just a bit more help? I don't even need that much. Every little bit you do eases the psychological burden I have.

But really, that is a very minor and stupid reason for leaving. My main reason is that I am completely dissatisfied with my life at this point. I can't hardly sleep at night. I'm tired.

Look, I'll make a promise. My post count is going to drop off significantly for the next month. If you can stay motivated and not give up as well then I'll join back on in the summer. In the time between now and then I need a few things from you(I know I'm not entitled to anything, but I'm asking as a friend)

1. I need this site moved from blogger to somewhere more suitable- maybe even with a better domain name that's catchier(The Frying Pan?) It doesn't have to be wordpress. In fact it might be cooler to find some decent free hosting or asking our moms(wives to you folks who still think we are handsome adults) to pay for real domain host. Its cheaper than EVE. Also, I'm gonna need to get a job soon, so I can put that money into it too.

2. I need you to think up ways to easy my load. You don't even need to take on any of what I've got planned so far(The poetry, the comics, the occasional funny reviews or whatever). I just need someone to motivate me. As is, with you being primarily absent from the site, I've been dragging my feet for a while, only picking them up on the few occasions when I've been given creative inspiration by you at school or whatever.

I understand that this is all insignificant and petty. I don't have any real excuses. I'm tired and I'm depressed and this is just too much for my stupid little hands to hold.

tl;dr I'm a whiny bitch, but will come back in the summer if I get a little help and motivation.

Astrozombie said...

Well, I'll be calling you to further discuss this.